Undergraduate Minors

no image available

There are a wide variety of careers related to natural resource management and environmental sciences. In order to help prepare students for these opportunities, NRES offers two undergraduate minors:

Natural Resource Conservation minor

This minor focuses on the conservation and stewardship of healthy and sustainable ecosystems that provide important human and community benefits. By providing the opportunity to explore the diverse biological, physical, social, economic, and political aspects of natural resources and stewardship, the minor helps prepare students for professional positions requiring a broad background in natural resources as well as a more in-depth emphasis in a specific content area of their choice.

Spatial and Quantitative Methods in NRES minor

This minor is designed for students who wish to develop competence in applying spatial and quantitative methods to natural resources and environmental decision-making to complement skills developed in their major areas of study.

How to declare an NRES minor

Once you have decided to pursue one of the NRES minors, you will need to complete the following steps:

  1. Review the rules and instructions for declaring a minor at the Provost's website.
  2. Review the requirements for your intended minor:
    Natural Resource Conservation
    Spatial and Quantitative Methods in Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences
  3. Complete the NRES minor application form.
  4. Complete the Statement of Intent to Pursue a Campus - Approved Minor.
  5. Bring this form and the Statement of Intent, completed and signed, to NRES Student Services in N-509 Turner Hall (1102 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana) or e-mail scans to NRES Student Services (nres-ssc@illinois.edu).  If you need assistance or advising, you can reach us at by e-mail or 217-333-5824.

If you are accepted into the NRES minor, a departmental authorized signature will be provided on your Statement of Intent, which you will turn into the academic office of your home college.

If you need to request to substitute a course in your minor, use the Minor Modification Form