As an NRES student, you will have the opportunity to practice your skills on a global scale!
Students can travel abroad with faculty members to see first-hand how to adapt what they have learned to different environments:
- First-Year Experience Programs: A 10-day experience during winter break (January) designed for incoming students. Options: Service Learning & Sustainability (Ecuador), or Discovering Agricultural & Environmental Systems (Panama).
- Faculty-Led Programs:
- Winter Short-Term: 10-day study abroad experiences during winter break (January) for Sophomores, Juniors, or Seniors. Popular programs: Ecology, Culture & Environmental Sustainability (Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico); Wildlife Conservation Management (Tanzania, Africa); Coral Reefs (Bahamas), etc.
- Summer Short-Term: 2-6 week study abroad experiences during summer break for Sophomores, Juniors, or Seniors. Popular programs: Wildlife Care and Conservation (New Zealand), Sustainable Agriculture & Eco-Tourism (Galapagos Islands), etc.
- Explore many more NRES-related programs, including exchange programs or view a pdf of programs that fit the NRES major well.
And More! The College of ACES and the University of Illinois offer outstanding study abroad opportunities and extensive logistical and financial support. Find more info and explore the other 400 study abroad opportunities available in the College of ACES or pursue any University approved program.
Why Study Abroad?
The advantages of studying abroad are too numerous to count. Completing academic coursework in another country is one of the best ways to build many of the skills that employers seek, such as the ability to communicate effectively with people who are different from you, navigate situations of uncertainty, communicate in another language, and face challenging situations effectively. Having study abroad experience demonstrates to potential employers that you are an independent, motivated individual who embraces a challenge.
More information about studying abroad:
- NRES Study Abroad Process
- College of ACES Study Abroad Office
- Campus Study Abroad Office
- Study Abroad Information for Parents
- O'Hara-Brawn Study Abroad Scholarship
The purpose of this fund is to support undergraduate travel scholarships in the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences for students participating in study abroad programs led by faculty in the College of ACES. To be considered, students must complete the Study Abroad scholarship application.
- Understanding Study Abroad Costs
- ACES Study Abroad Scholarhips
- Info from the University of Illinois